Modeling Faith

Hi Beautiful People!

Due to the protests, I have found it easier to work on my ideas throughout the week and type it up on a Sunday. I have conducted another interview- I want to become better at this and to learn more ( have not been having lectures if you did not know about the protests). 

Today I present my fellow countryman, he is from Malawi who currently resides in Cape Town. He is in the midst of his BSc Economics, his father inspired him to do it. The reason I decided to interview this subject is because he is a model ( YES I KNOW A MODEL *giggle*). I met him on social media, I thought he would be slightly mean and arrogant because it is weird "hitting someone in the DM" however he was humble and a sweetheart. 

Jack
Photographer: Marnus Meyer
marnusmeyer.tumblr.com


I have decided to not mention his surname because when I checked him on  www.mybooker.co.za/ - his agency did not put his name up and when I asked him why it was like that considering that all the models listed usually had a surname listed, he told me that it was so that Jack could not get poached, ie when people say that they would like Jack - they can not say which Jack because they are not aware of his surname. This was based on the look he had and the belief that they had in him. Therefore, I am respecting their wishes. Basically, he is a New Year's baby (1 January) and the youngest out of two children. 

I asked about his experience of South Africa, especially coming straight from Malawi, He immediately mentioned how conservative Malawi can be however he said Malawians tended to be helpful and accepting. He celebrated how diverse South Africa is because of how he is able to learn quite a lot. 

Marnus Meyer


How were you discovered?
I was walking to catch a school shuttle,this was first week of school, this women walks out of her house and puts her pets in the back seat. As I walk by, she greets me and I thought it was weird but I figure why not be nice. She asks me, 'who do you model for?', I replied to her saying no one and she hands me her contact details. That night I discussed it with my parents and my Dad replied,"it is not everyday that someone gives you this opportunity and not everyone will see what she see's in you". At the time, I was very shy but I figured it was chance to get out of my comfort zone. Two days later, I met up with her and she told me that 'Do not take this the wrong way but your face...your face.. Yo have the look. I would like to put you on the main board". She believed in me so much so that she put her own money towards the first test shoot. 

Main board explained:
My Bookers Management is divided into three boards- Lifestyle, Commercial and Main.
  • Lifestyle- made up of people that one can relate to.
  • Commercial- distinct look but something is missing. Eg: I am 157 cms which make me like 5'1, which definitely makes me too short to model professionally.
  • Main- Able to do everything. From Magazines to Runway.
You mentioned that you were quite shy, how did you gain confidence?
You know how most people have the fear of the unknown so once you familiarize yourself with  the unknown it then becomes something that you know, something that is out of your comfort zone- you eventually become comfortable doing it. Just frequently do it and always put yourself out there. 


What has been the most fun shoot?
GQ France, which took place like May 2016, it was fun because they went for a natural vibe; a pool party that was taking place throughout the day. "Don't pose. Don't be commercial- Just live life". So there is this one photo were I am sitting on the lawn and I am laughing, basically I had to look like I was talking to someone and I was, I talked to a fellow model about 'gym and his brother-in-law'.

Photographer: Peter Christensen

GQ France





Sometimes at shoots, you tend to look quite flamboyant - as seen on your Edgars shoot- how do you typically dress?
Well it depends on the day. Sunday, you are most likely to catch me in a suit with boots- I am not a fan of ties so you probably wont see me in that. Otherwise I stick to plain shirts without patterns; love V-necks ; I generally like boots and sneakers; I still wear three quarter pants even though I heard that they out of style or whatever, I still have a pair and it works for me.

Edgars Photo shoot.
Photographer: Caroline Mackintosh



Do you remember your first shoot?
Yes, I do. I thought my photo shoot was at 1pm on a Sunday however it was at 11am. So I had gone to Church and during the service I wanted to write done notes- that is when I saw that there were 20 missed calls from my agent. I called back and she told me that my shoot was now. I had not cut my hair so I went to the barber first because of all the rushing- I was not feeling as nervous. The mood board helped quite a lot. It was fun! I was scared because the photographer offered to re-do the whole shoot because he knew that we could have gotten better shots but it worked out. 

What do  you have planned for the future?
My agent has been wanting to send me abroad but that has not happened because of university, so once I graduate- in 2018, it will be our main mission. I have thought of America as an ideal place to start because I think that if you make in there- you have made it due to the major competition. 

Marnus Meyers.

You can tell why he made it as Glamour's #MCM- THAT SMILE.

Give me a glimpse into what happens in the workshops and fashion shows?
I had a workshop last year where they taught us about how we can vary emotions for TV commercials, with these emotions we have to to attach events in your life where you experienced that emotion. Another workshop I did, happened recently in Malawi, I just helped the models who were part of this winter fashion show. Basically, I gave out advice.

What is your typical week like?
Well this semester, it has been hard to go to castings because I have lectures from 9am-4pm. Back in the day, I would go to class and during the break I would go to castings then head back to class, when class finished I would go to gym.


Any Advice?
Do not let anyone tell you that you can not do something.

Lets talk more about your faith because for every photo on Instagram, you have a verse as a caption?
I always grew up in a faith-based household. My parents were part of an association in Malawi that went to the youth and spread the word, often they took us with them and I was asked to read verses.

He named a few verses:

1 Corinthians 10:1313 No temptation[a] has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted[b] beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted,[c] he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.

which basically means that God wont let things overwhelm you.

Philippians 4:1313 I can do all this through him who gives me strength. 
.Jeremiah 29:1111 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 
Romans 8:2828 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who[a] have been called according to his purpose.

No matter what happens- I am able to do everything and anything I put my mind to. Everything will be fine especially if its Gods plan.

In addition, he mentioned the story about his faith before he got discovered. He told me that during his first week that he had experienced card fraud which was months before being signed to Bookers.com then the morning he got discovered- everything seemed not to be going well but before he left his room, he prayed and simply said- "Lord, let today be different." 

Anything you would like to add?
Be true to yourself.
It is not a competition- no need to race with anybody. Your destiny is different from those around you.

Photographer: Luke Alios Houba




He has truly challenged me in terms of my faith but has mentioned confidence which is often what most people struggle with, even I get some type of way about confidence.I am still working on it in every way possible. Can we give it up up to Jack for living a Carpe Diem life?

Comments

Popular Posts